11 June 2010

Psalm 151

Is not included in the canon of scripture we* embrace, i.e. the Protestant Canon, which comprises of only 150 Psalms. It will be interesting to know on the last day if it is authentic. This psalm is nicknamed Psalm 151, it is in fact a combination of two Psalms. One of these Hebrew psalms, known as “Psalm 151a”, is reflected in verses 1–5 of the Greek Psalm 151, while verses 6 onward are derived from the other Hebrew psalm, known as “Psalm 151b” (which is only partially preserved). The composer has brought the two Hebrew psalms together in a manner that significantly changes their meaning and structure, but the influence of the Hebrew originals is still readily apparent. The fact that it was found in the dead sea scrolls and was, therefore, originally written in Hebrew adds to its credibility.

*Protestants.


This Psalm is ascribed to David and is outside the number. When he slew Goliath in single combat.


[This Title is given in the Septuagint]



1 Little was I among my brethren:

younger brother in my father's house.



2 My hands, they made an instrument of music:

My fingers, they prepared a psaltery.



3 And who shall bring back tidings to my master?

The Lord Himself, Himself gives ear.



4 Himself sent forth His messenger:

And took me from among my father's sheep;

And with the oil of His annointing He annointed me.



5 Comely my brethren were and tall:

And yet they found not favour with the Lord.



6 But I, I sallied forth to meet the alien:

And he reviled me by all his idols.



7 But I drew forth the sword that was beside him:

I cut his head off with it,

And from the sons of Israel removed reproach.

0 comments: