17 August 2009

Who cares?


I got a comment on my "Is Obama a Christian" post today, that was rather disturbing. You can see the post I am referring to here.




The comment was made in anonymity and I quote:






"Obama testifies that he is Christian so I take him at his word and regard him
as a brother in Christ. I don't agree with him on everything regarding his
approach to religion and the Christian faith, but so what, I probably don't
agree with anyone 100%. It doesn't really matter what I think about the state of
his soul anyway. Only he and God know this, it is not up to me to judge."




Its not the first time I'm hearing this thought pattern and I'd like to smash it to pieces right now.




The booklet by Albert N Martin, "What is a biblical Christian?" begins, if I may paraphrase, by stating that there are many things we can error on or simply be indifferent towards whose consequences we could live with. For example, If I don't know how a television works or perhaps I have an erroneous view of how it works, it will not cost me anything. The consequences of not knowing how the television works are insignificant, if any.




Whether one is a Christian or not is a totally different story. No man can afford to error on this issue. It is more important than anything else because it is a matter of life and eternity.




To hear, therefore, "anonymous" say that he/she takes Obama at his word when he says he's a Christian, is a sign that anonymous cares less for where Obama will spend eternity.




I'd never take anyone's word for it, who I love, if they told me they have become a Christian. I'd examine them and watch and analyse their lives because if they are not Christians, they would spend eternity in the lake of fire (Revelation 20:15) and I would never want anyone to suffer such a punishment, not anyone I love and not even Obama.




I'd rather be called judgemental and "holier than thou", than take someones word for it. Not when its a matter of eternal life and eternal death. We scrutinize the lives of those who profess faith for their own good.




Secondly, there is no such thing as "partially agreeing with someones approach to the Christian faith and religion" because there is only one approach to the Christian faith and religion. There is only one way to become a Christian. There is no such thing as "truths", there is only truth. There is only one way to attain eternal life. If you don't agree with someones "approach to the Christian faith", it must be on the basis of what the bible says and not on the basis of your opinion. What then is that only way, and what then is the truth and what is that way to eternal life? Jesus Christ answered that question:






Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
~John 14:6.




Never think that it doesn't matter whether you think anyone is really a Christian or not, actually, very few things in this whole world matter more! It's important what you think about whether or not anyone is saved, Obama inclusive. I repeat, it's a matter of eternal life and eternal death.




Finally, it is false to think that only God and I can know whether I am saved or not. On the contrary, others around me can know too. In fact they'd know better because they are looking from the outside in. Jesus himself said, "You shall know them by their fruit" (Matthew 7:16).




You shouldn't need a microscope to identify a Christian. If there was a Christian, anywhere, be it in the government, school, workplace, the gym, the soccer pitch or any other sphere or place, you should not need a microscope to find him! If you have to, either that so-called-Christian is not in fact a Christian or that Christian is living a life of compromise. Christians are to be the salt and light of the earth, they are to preserve morality wherever the are and they should shine (Matthew 5:13-15). Just like you can't miss illumination in a dark place, you can not miss a Christian wherever he/she is.




Thanks for reading.

0 comments: